We now have our own location at 906 Oxford Street East London in the Wellness Room at The Natural & Vegan Hub in London, Ontario and offer treatment and support for women suffering from Lipedema.
Lipoedema is a chronic and progressive disorder of the adipose tissue. It’s often called painful fat syndrome, and it mainly affects women (though there are some cases of male sufferers). Its marked by the abnormal storage and distribution of subcutaneous fat in the legs and sometimes arms. Lipoedema can occur at any age, with newer research showing that the disease generally manifests itself during puberty, pregnancy or other times of hormonal change.It is thought that genes play a role, although more research is desperately needed into this disease.
Symptoms of Lipedema
- Weight is gained disproportionately on hips and thighs and below knee. This is usually bilateral (affects both sides) and symmetrical (occurs evenly)
- The feeling of fatty ‘nodules’ underneath the skin
- Bruising occurs easily and is often unexplained
- Legs are sensitive to touch
- Deep throbbing pain in legs, pain in knee joints
- Legs feel heavy and swell throughout the day (especially after long periods of standing or sitting) but resolve overnight
- Fat on legs looks dimpled like “orange peel “ and legs may feel cold to the touch
- Lipedema fat does not respond to dieting
If you suffer from Lipedema or suspect you may have it we are here to support you.